The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow

The Silence of Bonaventure Arrow - Rita Leganski

4 ½ stars

This was such a unique and enchanting story on love, loss and how guilt over past mistakes can choke the life out of the present. The writing has an ethereal quality to it and it’s not a book to be rushed through, but instead to be savoured and enjoyed.

I absolutely loved the setting of New Orleans as well as the references and explanation of the difference between Hoodoo, Voodoo and root work. Something I strongly believe in is that religion and superstition are just sides of the same coin and this book confirmed this belief.

The story is set in the 1950’s where a special little boy is born without making a peep. This continues as he grows up and rather than worrying about his inability to speak his mother and paternal grandmother encourages him to express himself in any other way he can.

All the characters had their own strong voice, and I felt a connection with each of them, even The Wanderer.

The only criticism I can give (if I was forced at gun point) is that some of Bonaventure’s moments of auditory rapture almost took focus away from the actual story.

I highly recommend this.